I'm not decorating a nursery. There, I said it.
Before going to bed Wednesday night, I looked at my husband and said, "I've been thinking. I'm not going to make the baby's room a decorated nursery. I just don't think it's practical and what I want to do. I'm not into it." He looked up from his book, turned to me, smiled, gave me a high-five and said, "Good for you babe! Yeah, I don't think that's you... or us for that matter. I don't think babies care about their nursery theme anyway. But, I wasn't going to say anything."
I love him.
According to almost everyone (except my husband), the time will come when I am 'supposed' to really obsess over preparing a bright and cutesy room for my little angel, complete with a theme. But, ummmm... Not this mama.
Here are my reasons...
1. I've searched all over the web for a nursery theme that I like and... It's all just way too baby-ish for me. I don't like any of it for my baby.
2. It doesn't seem like baby rooms and nurseries are such a big deal here in Tokyo. It's more about practicality and the best use of space. At least, these are my impressions thus far.
3. On Faye Street, (childhood home from middle school through most of high school) my room was bright yellow with lavender molding and lavender ribbon wallpaper border. Seriously. Though I picked it out in 5th grade, by 7th grade it was a COMPLETE and TOTAL mismatch to my personality and taste. We eventually moved my senior year and boy was I happy to have a plain white room.
4. I don't think my baby will care what color her curtains and crib sheets are. Honestly, I don't think anyone will care.
5. I just don't think it's practical for us to purchase a lot of unnecessary baby themed stuff that no one else will want to take off of our hands when the baby grows out of her crib.
You see, it's not that I hate decorating, because I enjoy seeing a room come together with the right decor. And, I really enjoy looking at how others have decorated their nurseries, but it ends there.
So, what are we planning to do? Well, the first step is done. We've (my husband) has cleared out his man cave office area for the baby, so it's officially the baby's room. But there's still a desk in there that we'll have to sell and perhaps replace with a smaller one. She has closet space, and a separate closet as well as a chest of drawers for all of her tiny baby stuff :) and we've already secured a bassinet on rollers for her first newborn stage (thanks Amber!).
Now, we have to purchase a crib for her, curtains, crib blankets and sheets, a lamp, and I'm considering selecting 1-2 quilts on etsy for her. I love quilts. I'd like to purchase quilts that I can give to her and she can give to her children some day.
So, I'll be preparing the baby's room with all of the stuff necessary to make her feel nice and cozy in her new home. It just won't be filled with baby decor. I'd like to fill it with necessary baby items for her comfort, warmth, growth and enjoyment.
This right here is more our style. Plain.
(sigh)... I feel better.
QUESTION FOR MOMMIES: If you had to do it all over again, would you spend time decorating a baby nursery? What would you have done differently?